If you’re a business owner or an e-commerce enthusiast, chances are you’re familiar with Shopify, one of the leading e-commerce platforms in the world. With its user-friendly interface and a wide range of features, Shopify has been a go-to choice for online entrepreneurs. As of August 2023, Shopify has rolled out some exciting updates that aim to make your eCommerce journey even more seamless and productive. Let’s explore all the latest updates and enhancements that Shopify has introduced, ensuring you’re up-to-date with the platform’s capabilities.
Latest Shopify Updates You Need to Know
1. Enhanced Checkout Experiences for Your Business
Shopify understands the importance of seamless and tailored checkout experience. And, this time in its latest update, introduces 17 new APIs and enhancements to turbocharge checkout extensibility.
These additions empower you to create apps with high-ends functionality. You can now seamlessly integrate additional business logic, ensuring that your checkout process aligns perfectly with your unique requirements. This means you have more control over validation of shipping addresses, making sure that your products reach the right destinations accurately.
Moreover, the update facilitates upselling subscriptions, opening up new revenue streams for your business. Offering customized delivery options becomes a breeze, enhancing customer satisfaction and retention.
In essence, these enhancements represent a significant step toward optimizing the checkout experience for both businesses and customers. With greater flexibility and control, you can tailor your checkout process to meet your specific needs and delight your customers along the way.
2. Speedup Hydrogen Store Development
Latest update streamlines the development process more efficiently. With the latest improvements to their React-based headless stack, Hydrogen + Oxygen, building Hydrogen stores has never been quicker or more efficient.
This update focuses on reducing boilerplate code, enabling you to get your project up and running swiftly. The Hydrogen CLI now offers a plethora of options to expedite your development journey. You can scaffold a full purchase journey with standard app routes, integrate your preferred styling library, configure language and currency settings, and connect live product inventory with just a single command.
What’s more, Hydrogen includes pre-built components optimized for Remix, enhancing performance, SEO, and developer experience. From shopping cart functionalities to images, product forms, and pagination, these components are designed to make your life easier.
For Shopify Plus users, there’s an exclusive bonus—seamless integration with observability services like DataDog, Splunk, or New Relic. This empowers you to take full control of log monitoring, analysis, and retention, ensuring your store operates at its best.
With these enhancements, Shopify aims to empower developers and businesses to create Hydrogen stores faster and with greater ease, ultimately improving the overall e-commerce experience.
3. Develop Apps with Lightning Fast Speed
Shopify recognizes that apps are the cornerstone of enhancing the Shopify experience, and they’re committed to making app development faster, more accessible, and reliable. The latest updates in this regard are set to redefine the app-building experience.
Additionally, Shopify unveiled a fresh approach to App Bridge, built on web components and APIs. This innovation ensures a more familiar development environment, allowing developers to seamlessly integrate App Bridge into their chosen technology stack. This not only simplifies development but also opens up exciting possibilities for creating apps that seamlessly integrate with Shopify’s ecosystem.
These updates signify a substantial investment in the future of app development within the Shopify platform. They empower developers to craft apps faster and with greater ease, enhancing the overall Shopify experience for businesses and customers alike. It’s a win-win for the Shopify app ecosystem, promising more innovative and user-friendly solutions.
4. Web App Free Extension and Organization-Level Custom Apps
Shopify is simplifying the process of creating custom apps, particularly for extensions related to Functions or checkout. The latest update removes the need to provide a web app when building these extensions. Shopify itself will take on the hosting responsibilities for these extensions, reducing the development overhead.
This streamlined approach enables developers to focus solely on crafting the extension’s functionality without the added complexity of hosting. It’s a significant time-saver, allowing for quicker development and deployment of these specialized apps.
Furthermore, for Shopify Plus users, a new feature allows you to install the same custom app on multiple stores within your organization. This level of flexibility is invaluable for businesses with multiple storefronts, as it streamlines app management and ensures a consistent experience across all your stores.
In summary, Shopify’s update makes building extension-only custom apps more accessible and efficient by handling hosting for specific extensions. Additionally, the ability to install the same custom app across multiple stores within an organization simplifies app management, offering a unified and cohesive solution for Shopify Plus users.
5. Empowering Shopify Admin Integration
Shopify is making it easier than ever to integrate your app’s functionality seamlessly into the Shopify admin environment. With the introduction of admin action and block extensions, you can create and test these extensions in your development store, offering a more streamlined experience for both merchants and app developers.
Admin action and block extensions enable you to embed your app’s workflows and user experiences directly onto core admin pages. This means merchants can access your app’s functionality without the need to navigate away from their current tasks. It’s all about enhancing efficiency and productivity.
What’s particularly noteworthy is that these extensions can utilize direct API access, granting them the ability to leverage the Admin GraphQL API without requiring proxy calls through your app’s backend. This results in faster and more responsive apps, ensuring a smooth and seamless user experience within the Shopify admin.
Essentially, Shopify’s update in this regard empowers developers to create admin extensions that truly enhance the merchant’s experience. It eliminates the need for constant context-switching and allows for the integration of vital app features right within the admin interface, ultimately boosting efficiency and productivity for merchants.
6. Discover "Built for Shopify" Apps
Shopify is bringing a game-changing feature to its platform – the “Built for Shopify” program, now live in the Shopify App Store. This program is designed to simplify the app discovery process for merchants by highlighting apps that seamlessly integrate into the Shopify ecosystem, offering a user experience that aligns with Shopify’s highest quality standards.
When an app is recognized as “Built for Shopify,” it means it not only meets but exceeds Shopify’s criteria for performance, safety, utility, and user-friendliness. As a result, these apps receive a boost in search rankings and enjoy increased visibility across the Shopify App Store and various merchant interfaces.
Merchants can now easily identify and install these high-quality apps that truly feel like a natural extension of the Shopify platform. The “Built for Shopify” program ensures that Shopify merchants have access to the best-in-class apps that enhance their business operations.
For developers, all the information and resources needed to make an app “Built for Shopify” are conveniently located in the Partner Dashboard, simplifying the process of creating top-tier Shopify apps that merchants can rely on.
The “Built for Shopify” program elevates the app experience for both developers and merchants, fostering a thriving ecosystem of high-quality, seamlessly integrated apps that enhance the Shopify platform’s functionality and user experience.
7. Enhancements to Shopify Functions for Greater Customization
Shopify remains committed to enhancing its Shopify Functions platform, designed to facilitate the creation of unique customizations that operate seamlessly on Shopify’s global infrastructure. This update introduces a range of improvements aimed at making the development process more efficient and developer-friendly.
- Expanded Function APIs: Developers now have access to nine Function APIs, offering even more versatility in customizing and extending Shopify’s functionality. Notably, the introduction of the Custom Order Routing Function allows for precise control over order routing within your app.
- Versioning and Rollback: Managing the versions of your Functions is now more straightforward. You have the ability to version and roll back Functions directly within your app. This ensures greater control over the evolution of your customizations and simplifies troubleshooting.
- Local Function Development: The introduction of the “shopify app dev” command is a game-changer for developers. It allows you to run Functions in your local development environment, facilitating local Function development and accelerating the debugging process. This feature streamlines the development cycle, ensuring your customizations are more robust and efficient.
These improvements underscore Shopify’s dedication to empowering developers with the tools and capabilities needed to create unique and efficient customizations. With expanded APIs, enhanced developer experiences, and streamlined development processes, Shopify Functions becomes an even more valuable resource for building powerful and flexible apps on the Shopify platform.
8. Shopify Flow with Return Data for Dynamic Automations
Shopify Flow, known for streamlining merchant workflows through automations, has received an exciting update. Flow actions can now return data into the Flow environment, opening the door to innovative automations that harness the power of your app and its data.
This newfound ability empowers merchants to create dynamic automations that leverage your app’s capabilities and data sources, enhancing efficiency and productivity.
Several Flow actions now utilize return data, enabling merchants to integrate data from various services seamlessly. For instance, the OpenAI connector can return AI-generated text from OpenAI’s completion API. Flow’s “Get data” actions, including “Get order data,” provide a list of objects that can be seamlessly integrated into workflows.
For merchants, this means they can craft automations that tap into the wealth of data available through your app and other services. Whether it’s generating AI-driven content or utilizing specific data sets, these new possibilities can revolutionize their workflows, making them more dynamic and data-driven.
This update represents a significant step forward in the evolution of Shopify Flow, offering merchants the tools they need to create sophisticated and customized automations that align perfectly with their business needs. It’s all about efficiency, productivity, and harnessing the full potential of your app within the Shopify ecosystem.
9. Customer Account API to Build Customized Headless Stores
Shopify is ushering in a new era of customer account management for headless stores with the introduction of the Customer Account API. This powerful API is now available for both Hydrogen and Headless channels, offering a host of benefits that enhance security, authentication, and overall data consistency.
- Enhanced Security and Authentication: The Customer Account API introduces a cutting-edge password free single sign-on mechanism. This means that customers can enjoy a seamless and secure authentication experience without the need for traditional passwords. It’s a leap forward in security that benefits both customers and developers.
- Improved Data Consistency: With the Customer Account API, data consistency is taken to the next level. This lays the foundation for unlocking Shopify’s core features, such as returns, subscriptions, and B2B functionalities, in headless storefront development. Consistent data ensures that these features operate smoothly and reliably within your headless environment.
For businesses, this API opens the door to creating personalized headless experiences that are not only secure but also offer a seamless and feature-rich customer account management system. It’s a game-changer for headless storefronts, enabling them to provide customers with a modern and streamlined account experience that aligns perfectly with the Shopify ecosystem.
10. Simplified App Credit Distribution for Partners
Shopify is streamlining the process of sending app credits to merchants with a convenient new feature. Now, from your Partner Dashboard, you can send app credits directly to any merchant, even if they have previously uninstalled your app. This enhancement simplifies the credit distribution process, making it easier for partners to support their merchant clients.
App credits are immediately applied to subsequent app charges from any downloaded app on the merchant’s account once they are sent. This automation ensures that merchants can effortlessly utilize the credits they receive, regardless of which apps they have installed. It’s a hassle-free way to provide value to your merchant clients and foster positive, long-term relationships.
This feature not only enhances the convenience of managing app credits but also strengthens the partnership between developers and merchants within the Shopify ecosystem. It’s all about making the process smoother and more beneficial for everyone involved.
11. Craft Exceptional Apps with Polaris v12-beta and Updated Design Guidelines
Shopify is dedicated to empowering developers to create outstanding apps, and they’re taking a big step in this direction with updated App Design Guidelines. These revisions aim to offer more comprehensive and clear guidance, especially in areas of app design that can be particularly challenging, such as forms, marketing, and the newly launched admin UI extensions.
- Enhanced Clarity and Detail: The updated App Design Guidelines provide a deeper level of insight and clarity, helping developers tackle intricate aspects of app design. This includes addressing nuances in areas like forms and marketing, ensuring that developers have the guidance they need to create exceptional app experiences.
- Introducing Polaris v12-beta: In conjunction with the redesigned Shopify admin, Shopify is introducing a beta release of Polaris v12, with the stable release scheduled for September 2022. Developers have the opportunity to update their apps now, allowing them to get ahead in aligning their app’s aesthetics and functionality seamlessly with the new admin experience.
This update is a testament to Shopify’s commitment to providing developers with the tools and resources needed to create apps that not only meet but exceed user expectations. The revised design guidelines and early access to Polaris v12 ensure that developers can stay at the forefront of the Shopify ecosystem, delivering top-notch experiences to Shopify merchants and users.
12. Storefront API Let You Create Customized Search Experiences
Shopify is giving developers the power to create fully customized search experiences that align perfectly with their commerce requirements. With the Storefront API, you can now build a search feature that caters to the unique needs of your business.
- Predictive Search: The Storefront API empowers you to implement predictive search functionality. This means that as customers start typing their search queries into the search bar, suggested results appear instantly. This real-time assistance not only enhances the user experience but also helps customers discover relevant products more efficiently.
- Customized Filtering: Tailor the search experience further by offering customized filtering options. This enables customers to easily refine their search results, ensuring they find precisely what they’re looking for. Customized filters streamline the shopping journey, making it more intuitive and user-friendly.
For businesses, this capability is a game-changer. It allows you to create a search experience that aligns perfectly with your brand and product offerings. Whether you’re in e-commerce, have a complex product catalog, or specific search requirements, the Storefront API provides the flexibility to meet your unique commerce needs. It’s all about enhancing the discoverability of your products and the overall shopping experience for your customers.
13. Revised Pricing Structure for B2B on Shopify for New Merchants
Shopify is implementing changes to its pricing structure for B2B (Business-to-Business) transactions for new merchants starting from August 9, 2023. These changes aim to provide clarity and fairness in pricing, ensuring that new Shopify Plus merchants have a transparent fee structure.
- Variable Platform Fee: For new Shopify Plus merchants, all B2B orders, including offline manual payments and draft orders, will now be subject to a variable platform fee of 0.18%. This fee is calculated as a percentage of the Gross Merchandise Volume (GMV), representing the total value of the transactions.
- Minimum Plus Platform Fee: The minimum monthly Plus platform fee remains at $2,000 USD per month. This fee is also calculated as a percentage of GMV, ensuring that new merchants have a clear understanding of their minimum monthly commitment.
- DTC Transactions: It’s important to note that these changes apply specifically to B2B transactions. Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) transactions will continue to be subject to a variable platform fee of 0.25%.
Merchants and partners are encouraged to update their Shopify Plus materials to reflect these changes in pricing. These adjustments aim to provide greater transparency and consistency in pricing structures for new Shopify Plus merchants, ensuring they have a clear understanding of the fees associated with their B2B transactions.
14. Introducing the B2B Migration Kit
Shopify is taking steps to facilitate the migration of merchants from the Plus Wholesale Channel as it will be deprecated on April 30, 2024. To ensure a smooth transition for these merchants, Shopify has introduced the B2B Migration Kit. This comprehensive kit is designed to provide guidance and tools to assist merchants in migrating to the B2B on Shopify platform.
Key Components of the B2B Migration Kit:
- Checklists: The kit includes checklists to help evaluate a merchant’s specific wholesale needs. These checklists serve as a valuable resource to assess and plan for a seamless migration.
- Migration Guidance: Merchants will find guidance on how to effectively migrate customer and price lists. This step-by-step guidance ensures that critical customer data and pricing structures are transferred without disruptions.
- Additional Tools: In addition to checklists and migration guidance, the B2B Migration Kit offers various other helpful tools and resources that merchants can leverage during the migration process.
This kit is Shopify’s commitment to supporting its merchants through changes and transitions. By providing a structured approach and resources, it ensures that merchants have the necessary assistance to smoothly migrate to the B2B on Shopify platform and continue their wholesale operations seamlessly.
Hire Softtrix | Your Reliable Shopify Partner
Do you want to leverage all the latest Shopify updates to your eCommerce website and stay ahead of your competitors? If yes then you definitely need a trusted and knowledgeable partner to boost up your eCommerce business. Well, Softtrix is your answer.
Softtrix has earned its reputation as the best Shopify development and marketing company through a combination of expertise, customer-centricity, and a comprehensive suite of services. Their unique approach, combined with a proven track record, makes them a trusted partner for businesses looking to thrive in the world of e-commerce.
Capture, Connect & Convert
Your Audience Into Buyers With Us!
- Website Development: Turn your business dream into a reality with our top-notch development services!
- Website Design: Elevate your brand’s visual appeal with our creative website designs!
Shopify continues to evolve and improve, staying at the forefront of e-commerce solutions. These August 2023 Shopify updates bring significant enhancements that cater to both beginners and experienced e-commerce entrepreneurs. With a focus on user-friendliness, mobile optimization, and enhanced features, Shopify remains a strong choice for building and growing your online store.